Friday, December 30, 2016

2016 Sucked But There Was This, Music Edition


aka Frazzled's 2016 Sonic Misadventures




10.  John Paul White, I'll Get Even
           (Beulah)



Seeing John Paul at my beloved hipster club was definitely a highlight of 2016. John dedicated his song to "my lovely wife, who is sitting in the audience right now" and then proceeds to rip into a typical murder ballad. After listening to it a couple of times, it's really a sweet song about how he isn't worthy of her, but like all of his stuff, it sure seems like a murder ballad. Never change, John.

9.  Green River Ordinance, Red Fire Night
                  (Fifteen)



Green River Ordinance seems to hit that sweet alt-country spot between enjoying good tunes, sunshine, and whiskey without seeming totally chauvinist and cheap and the maudlin sentiment that permeates too much of "real" country music. Sometimes simple is best, after all.

8. Switchfoot, Bull In A China Shop




Some guys live out their heyday in the 90s and 00s thinking they've outgrown crowd sufing, climbing rafters, and balloons full of confetti. Jon Foreman is not one of those people. That Halloween night concert was epic. And these blues riffs are sick.

7.  Miranda Lambert, We Should Be Friends
           (The Weight Of These Wings)



Forever my bad girl idol.

6.  Maren Morris, My Church
          (Hero)




If you don't understand why every girl in Alabama was blasting this and singing along all last summer, you'll never really get us.

5.  Justin Timberlake, Can't Stop The Feeling
              (Trolls)



If you don't get up and dance every time you hear this song, I'm forever judging you.

4. The Avett Brothers, Ain't No Man
        (True Sadness)


Not just the best alt country band to walk the planet. The best country band, period. You know I'm not wrong.

3.  NeedToBreathe, When I Sing
           (Hard Love)



Unfortunately, my favorite band on the planet has yet to perform one single version of this song as far as I know, but as I'm in double digits as far as concerts go, I am not to be trusted on this topic. Still, it's awesome.

2.  Parachute, New Orleans
        (Wide Awake)



If this song doesn't make you want to run down your street and start a party with everyone you see, I don't know what is wrong with you, frankly.

1. Kris Allen, Feeling This Way
          (Letting You In)



Nothing gets you into the groove quite a sexy voice at the hipster club. Birmingham can be pretty damn cool sometimes after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment